Prague is definitely one of the most magical cities in the Czech Republic and also in Europe. It has something to offer to pretty much everyone. Whether you like architecture, food, culture, history or fun, Prague is the place for you. And being the city capital of Czech Republic, that is understandable. However there is something else that is great about Prague. Prague is close to many amazing cities in the Czech Republic. If you are already staying in Prague, you can just visit other cities during a weekend. Doing this, will provide you with two main benefits. First, you will meet new places and have new experiences. And second, you will start to think of Prague as what it really is: a multi-cultural center. Instead of remembering Prague like a beautiful city, you will remember it as a beautiful city close to other beautiful cities in the Czech Republic.
The truth is that Prague is close to many amazing cities. However, it would simply be impossible to name them all. If you really want to take a tour all over Czech Republic, there are several cities that you can visit. However, we chose three: Brno, Cesky Krumlov and Karlovy Vary. They all have amazing places to visit and things to do. They all have beautiful people and they are all cultural centers. And, especially, they all are relatively close to Prague. So close, that you can travel to each one of them without it feeling like a different trip. If you are already staying in Prague and you want to get the best out of your experience, continue reading. Here, you will find the top 3 cities in the Czech Republic you must visit from Prague.
Brno is widely regarded as one of the most important cities of Czech Republic. In Brno, you can find the junction of the Svratka and the Svitava rivers. Since it was the city capital of Moravia, it has a lot of cultural richness. It is known for the gothic and baroque architecture, but also for being a multi-cultural center. Here is everything you need to know about Brno:
Cultural things to do in Brno:
If you are a fan of cultural trips, Brno has a lot of things to offer you. Thanks to the cultural heritage that remains in Brno, you are guaranteed to find enriching experiences around every corner. Some of the main cultural things you can do in Brno are:
- Visit the Old Town Hall: The Old Town Hall is an iconic landscape in Brno. Besides all the usual things like street stands for food and several traditional stores, you can actually climb to the roost of the tower. Believe when we say that the view from here is astonishing. Besides, there are a couple of funny stories about the tower. One of the turrets is a little bit skewed. While nobody knows the real reason, there are a couple of amusing stories. Some say that the architect was too drunk to get it right. Others say that the government ripped him off and that was his vengeance. You should visit the Old Town Hall and see if you come up with a different reason.
- Go to Gregor Mendel’s Abbey and Museum: Gregor Mendel is the father of genetics. If you are a fan of culture and science, you will find this place delightful. You can take a stroll trough the gardens of the abbey or visit the museum where several notebooks and early experiments are exhibited.
Funny things to do in Brno
If you’d rather have a blast, Brno won’t disappoint you either. Many young people from all over the world gather at Brno to have fun. Brno has a lot of nightclubs, bars and restaurants to keep you entertained.
It would be unfair to name just one, since there is pretty much a dance club or bar for everyone. Depending on your tastes, you can do something particular. You can dance all night at one of many Brno’s discotheques if you feel energized. If you want to have a beer with your friends, you can visit a brewery or local pub. And if you want a romantic date with your significant other, you will find a lot of fancy restaurants.
Also, you should know that Brno has accommodation for everyone. You can spend the big bucks and stay at a luxurious hotel to have a fancy experience. If you are on a budget or you want something more traditional, you can stay at a hostel or Bed & Breakfast.
Karlovy Vary used to be the height of fashion the 19th century. The famous writer Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe named it one of the three cities where he would like to live. And Karlovy Vary still today is considered one of the most distinguished spa resorts in Czech Republic. It is definitely a destination for beauty and wellness enthusiasts. However, it still offers a lot of cultural places to meet and things to do. This combination makes it one of the best cities in the Czech Republic. Here are some of the most relevant.
Beauty and Wellness
If you were in Prague and wanted to relax, it is lucky that you came to Karlovy Vary. Karlovy Vary hosts some of the most distinguished spas in the country for you to relax and treat yourself. Here are some of the things you can do in Karlovy Vary relating to beauty and wellness:
- Visit one of its world-renowned spas: Karlovy Vary is famous for its curative waters. Since a Roman Emperor found a spring and used it treat himself for a wound, the fame of Karlovy Vary just raised. Thanks to the properties attributed to the water, many spas feature water-related treatments. In Karlovy Vary you can get hydrotherapy or drink mineral water cures. Besides, they offer a lot of traditional treatments. So you can get a regular massage or facial treatment if you feel like it. Finally, the greatest thing about Karlovy Vary is that it has so many spas, that you will find one that fits your budget and needs.
- Vřídelní Kolonáda: In this iconic bulding you can find one of the most famous hot springs in Karlovy Vary. The water comes from a geyser and reaches a height of more than 12 meters. If you believe in the curative properties of the water, you can drink the spring water for free. Here, you can also take beauty treatments in the underground spa.
Cesky Krumlov certainly looks like taken out of a fairy tale. It also is one of the most beautiful cities in the Czech Republic. It features a river and several medieval castles and churches. If you want an experience like nothing else, you really should pay Cesky Krumlov a visit. There are many things to do in here.
Some of those things are:
- Night rafting at the Vltava: The Vltava river passes through Cesky Krumlov and it offers a lot of fun possibilities. If you just want a romantic and relaxed experience, you can take a wooden raft. They go slow and allow you to gaze at the breathtaking sights of the town at night. You can also jump in a regular raft. You will follow a guided tour through the river and amaze yourself with all the wonders at the side of the Vltava.
- Learn about beer making: Cesky Krumlov is famous for its beer. Thanks to that, there are several breweries you can visit. If you get lucky, you could find a free tasting of several different beers. If you are interested in the process of beer making, you can always book a guided tour. In the tour, you will learn how beer is made, processed and bottled. And at the end, naturally, you will get to taste fresh Eggenberg beer.
- Have an adventure at an underground mine: In Cesky Krumlov there is a huge graphite mine. There are several tours available to suit everyone’s tastes. After gearing up with some equipment, you will be taken inside the mine. You will see the underground graphite for yourself and have an amazing experience. Besides, you will also learn about the graphite rush of the 19th
- If you go in June, you can attend the Five Petaled Rose Festival: The Five Petaled Rose Festival is an experience you must see for yourself. On the weekend closest to June 21, Cesky Krumlov absolutely transforms. The Old Town fills with musicians and artisans completely characterized as medieval townsfolk. There are fireworks, thematic food and folk theater performances everywhere. If you are visiting Prague near June 21, Cesky Krumlov is a must.
Follow us on: